On Tuesday, May 14, the track and field program celebrated its 2019 season with an awards night to honor the effort of its middle and high school students. Holy Cross track and field is open to students in grades 5-12.
The Varsity team finished 4th in District 9-5A competition, sending athletes in 10 different events to the Region 3-5A championship. The following participants qualified for the Region 3-5A championship by placing fourth or above in their events:
- Pole Vault – Sr. Brad Boozer
- Discus – Sr. Stephen Gurtner
- Shot Put – So. Jace Stewart
- 200M – Sr. Isaiah Benetrix
- 300M Hurdles – Sr. Mason Carter
- 800M Run – Jr. Tharon Blanchard & Jr. Josh Raiford
- 1600M Run – Sr. Cade Martin
- 3200M Run – Sr. Cade Martin
- 4x200M Relay – So. Amiri Franklin/Sr. Isaiah Benetrix/So. Jalen Johnson/So. Jaden Handy
- 4x800M Relay – Jr. Josh Raiford/Jr. Tharon Blanchard/Sr. Trent Terminie/Sr. Cade Martin
Of those participants, the following qualified for the LHSAA 5A State Championship by placing third or above in their events:
- 4x800M Relay - Josh Raiford/Tharon Blanchard/Trent Terminie/Cade Martin (7th Place at State Championship)
- 1600M Run – Cade Martin (6th Place at State Championship)
- 3200M Run – Cade Martin (5th Place at State Championship)
The following individuals were honored with specific awards recognizing their efforts and accomplishments:
- Field MVP – Sr. Stephen Gurtner
- Outstanding Field Athlete – Sr. Trevor Terminie
- Field MVP – Sr. Cade Martin
- Outstanding Track Athlete – Sr. Trent Terminie
- Earl Schneider Award – Sr. Mason Carter
The Earl Schneider Award is given in honor of Holy Cross Alumnus Earl Schneider, an All-American track and football athlete and legendary coach. The winner of this award is a senior with a unique selflessness and dedication to the sport of track and field.
From the Track and Field program, one athlete will be continuing his athletic career at the collegiate level. Senior Cade Martin has signed with Louisiana State University for cross country and track and field. Cade’s many accomplishments and accolades include: National Merit Scholar Finalist, multiple all-district, all-regional, and all-state award winner, and all-academic composite award winner for Track and Cross Country.
The Middle School Track team competes in the New Orleans Athletic League (NOAL) with other private schools around the New Orleans area. Due to weather conditions and restrictive scheduling, the 2019 NOAL track championship was cancelled outright. With 40 athletes on the roster and championships in the 5&6 grade division of the NOAL from 2017 and 2018, the middle school track program is a thriving unit of competitive athletes. The following individuals were recognized from the middle school track team for their commitment to the program:
- MVP’s – Aiden Williams, Paxton Veale, Alex Walser
- Veteran Award (three consecutive years of participation in middle school track, grades 5-7): Gage Baldassaro, Landon Davis, Savoi Hebert, Amari Jacob, Krosse Johnson, and Rocco Lovecchio
- Most Improved – Seton Sonnier
Congratulations to all of our track and field athletes for a great season!